Sunday, May 13, 2007

Jarvis Cocker-The Fillmore, Sometime in April







_______________________________________________________
I had not seen a show since Clinic, in maybe 2005 sometime. I thought that I would wait until Alex Chilton toured again but it was not to be.

The Fillmore is a nightmare, I used to hate it when I smoked because it was a cock tease of a place that you could not go in and out of and of course you could not smoke. But I quit and now it was just stuffed with pricks and pimply teenagers and old guys in leather and over made up girls who leave their puffy lipstick stains on their plastic cups of vodka tonic. The same tired-ass scene.

The opening band was called Honeycut and they did not have a drummer, just a douche-bag who banged his hands all over a little rectangular box that made drum sounds. It was not cool in an experimental way-it was total crap. It made me want to throw up. The singer broke out in a harmonica solo and I screamed at the top of my lungs for someone to drag him off by his hair, but they were allowed to finish up.

My girlfriend got the Jarvis Cocker album from her brother on Christmas and I listened to it a bit, but there are really only two good songs, one he played for the encore and the other he played earlier. No Pulp songs, which was kind of a drag, because that new album is a bit flat, and Pulp was his baby, so it would have been fine, but he let that ghost lie.

“Don’t Let him Waste Your Time” was the encore song, and it is a good pop song, sounding a bit like Pulp, but the best song is the Tommy James and the Shondells rip—“Black Magic.” His band sounded fine, there was lots of dry ice and he did a myriad of kicks and made lots of anti-American political jokes that the crowd showed its appreciation for with fawning, throaty yowls.

I left the place drunk and feeling mean. The whole crowd spilled down those god-awful stairs, which made me wonder about the hippies who must have fallen down those fuckers, all high and blasted out of their minds on acid. Geary Street was like a swap meet of assholes and I waited for the people I arrived with. The rich ones tried hailing cabs, the young ones stood in the light, laughing, happy, pretty and stupid, and the rest of us took the bus.

b.

PS: I will start back up in about two weeks.

1 Comments:

Blogger CLAY BANES said...

i'd thought i'd wished i were there.

by the bitty way: splashed out and got the uk 2-disc common people and hardcore. if you're ever in the east bay, i'll pass you a paper bag.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Music Blogs - Blog Top Sites Directory of Music Blogs
Music Blogs
Music Blogs